CHAPTER 5 : SHORT STORY, CLAUSES and PARTICIPLES
BSE : 3.5/4.5/3/5.5
3.5 membedakan fungsisosial, struktur teks, dan unsur kebahasaan beberapa teks naratif lisan dan tulis dengan memberi dan meminta informasi terkai tcerita pendek, sesuai dengan konteks penggunaannya
(XII) 3.2 menerapkan fungsi sosial, struktur teks, dan unsur kebahasaan teks interaksi transaksional lisan dan tulis yang melibatkan tindakan memberi dan meminta informasi terkait benda dengan pewatas berupa sifat, jenis, dan fakta keadaan/kejadian, sesuai dengan konteks penggunaannya. (Perhatikan unsur kebahasaan prepositional phrase, adjective clause: finite dan non–finite)
(XII) 3.7 menerapkan fungsi sosial, struktur teks, dan unsur kebahasaan teks interaksi transaksional lisandantulis yang melibatkan tindakan memberi dan meminta informasi terkait konsesi, sesuai dengan konteks penggunaannya. (Perhatikan unsur kebahasaan even though, although)
4.5 Menangkap makna secara kontekstual terkait dengan fungsi sosial, struktur teks, dan unsur kebahasaan teks naratif, lisan dan tulis, terkait cerita pendek
(XII) 4.2 Menyusun teks interaksi transaksional lisan dan tulis yang melibatkan tindakan memberi dan meminta informasi terkait benda dengan pewatas berupa sifat, jenis, dan fakta keadaan/kejadian, dengan memperhatikan fungsi sosial, struktur teks, dan unsur kebahasaan yang benar dan sesuai konteks
(XII) 4.7 menyusun teks interaksi transaksional lisan dan tulis yang melibatkan tindakan memberi dan meminta informasi terkait konsesi, dengan memperhatikan fungsi sosial, struktur teks, dan unsur kebahasaan yang benar dan sesuai konteks
In this chapter, you will learn about the difference between short stories and anecdote or spoof. Surely, you will have to know the proper grammatical structure used to understand the whole story. Practicing how to compose a short story is needed to enhance your understanding on its social function and its text structure.
GENERAL INSTRUCTION : You must ensure that you understand the material step by step. At the end, there will be an evaluation to test your level of understanding on the material. When your level is above the passing score, you may continue to the next material. Before you ask for the evaluation, please ensure yourself that you have already mastered the whole material in this chapter.
Ask the teacher a short story, or you can find your own. It should be about 15 to 25 pages. You may have the same title as your friend’s .
|When you finish reading the story, write some conflicts and their solution on a piece of paper. You may have a discussion with the friend whose story has the same title as yours. Then, show your work to the teacher.
To understand a story, surely you need to learn the grammatical structures. SO, let’s learn Clauses and Participles. Please open your grammar book to learn about them before doing the exercises below!
JOIN THE TWO SENTENCES WITH THE PROPER RELATIVE PRONOUN INTO A COMPLEX SENTENCE WITH ADJECTIVE CLAUSE
1. The princess looked for the plant. It could heal the queen’s rare sickness.
2. Jane Foster was teleported to another world at a time. Malekith attacked Asgard at that time.
- Sasuke doesn’t want to attack Naruto. Everyone is amazed on his intelligence and power.
- Dursley gave Harry a small room. He slept there.
- Fairy Godmother fulfilled Cinderella a wonderful gown. She wore it to the Prince’s party.
- The snowman becomes alive. Anna and Elsa always play with it.
- The Kings finally died in grief. His daughter was kidnapped.
- Po is chosen as the dragon warrior. His father is a crane.
- Arlo, the good dinosaur, is weaker and smaller than his brother. He always teases him and makes him upset.
- King T’Chala fought with the man. His father left him outside Wakanda.
- Black Pearl was sinking. Jack Sparrow had been looking for it for some years.
- Beast gave Belle his large library. He spent most of his time there.
- Mavis finally got married with her fiancé, Johnny. Her father is a Dracula.
- A Viking village located on a remote island. Dragons periodically stole livestock.
- The Maleficent’s curse to the baby can be broken. Maleficent gave it during its christening.
- NOUN CLAUSE
COMPLETE THE SENTENCE WITH THE CORRECT NOUN CLAUSE!
- The Queen is still confused about whom …
- What… made Thor so angry and wanted to kill him.
- How… made Naruto disappointed.
- Harry Potter was still confused about who …
- The step mother didn’t care about what …
- Elsa is afraid that …
- Rapunzel was imprisoned in where …
- Po and his friends are fighting with whose …
- That … disappoints Arlo.
- Wakanda people believe that …
- Where … is known as the mysterious island.
- Why … confuses the Beast.
- That … inspired Dracula to be more humane.
- Hiccup couldn’t ensure himself how many …
- The King remembered that …
FILL IN THE BLANK WITH THE APPROPRIATE CONJUNCTION!
- Naruto has become the seventh Hokage since …
- Since Thor didn’t want to be a king, …
- The princess was such a brave woman that …
- Malfoy, the heir of Slytherin, fought as viciously as …
- Cinderella didn’t feel sad although …
- If Elsa didn’t learn to control her power, …
- Rapunzel’s hair is so long and strong that …
- Po won’t win the fight with Tai Lung unless …
- Arlo’s father fell into the deep river while …
- T’Chala could become a king on condition that …
- Though…, Sparrow craves revenge to Barbosa and his crew.
- Lumière tries to help Beast become more civil for Belle so that …
- Dracula takes Dennis to where…
- Hiccup shot down a Night Fury, an extremely rare and dangerous dragon when …
- Maleficent had a pair of feathery fairy wings so …
CHANGE THE CLAUSES INTO THE PRESENT PARTICIPLES!
- Because the palace is on the top of hill, it is difficult for the enemies to attack.
- After Thor had left, Odin’s form transformed into Loki, who was alive and impersonated Odin.
- The teacher who taught Naruto admired his effort to be the next Hokage.
- The girl who plays with animals everyday knows the language of each animal.
- Ron and Hermione froze while they were watching what Harry was doing.
- While she was playing with her sister, Anna was creating snow for them to play with.
- While Rapunzel was waiting for her step mother to climb, she was surprised by a man who climbed with her hair.
- The restaurant which serves the most delicious noodle is owned by Po’s father.
- Since Arlo doesn’t have a father anymore, he feels that no one protects him.
- The woman who becomes T’Chala’s commander is skillful and powerful.
- While Jack and Barbossa were in duel, Will broke the curse by returning the last coin and offering his blood.
- Pot who has a loving, and motherly feel helps Belle to be comfortable in the Beast’s castle.
- Because Dennis has yet to grow his fangs, he will be sent to California to be treated there.
- While he is observing Toothless’s behavior, Hiccup becomes increasingly proficient in subduing the captive dragons during training nonviolently.
- Because the three pixies that were assigned to look after Aurora proved to be incompetent, they were dismissed.
- CHANGE THE UNDERLINED PHRASES INTO CLAUSES!
- Being a nobleman, Prince William has to be careful in speaking and behaving.
- Cradling Loki in his arms, Thor promised to tell their father of his sacrifice.
- The nicest ramen selling restaurant often let Naruto to eat it for free.
- Leading to the entrance hall, Ron was telling about the secret chamber.
- The step sister treating Cinderella as her servant didn’t want to share the food with her.
- Feeling afraid to harm her sister, Elsa didn’t want to play with her anymore.
- The speaking frog accompanies Rapunzel every day.
- Training Po to be the warrior dragon, Oogway was advising him not to show up his power.
- Having got along for some time, Arlo and Spot become friends.
- Black Panther’s suit having high technology protection is an astonishing armor.
- Stealing the gold, Barbossa and his crew became undead and unable to feel physical pleasure.
- Belle learns of what happened and goes to the castle, attempting to release her father.
- Believing Dennis is a “late fanger”, Dracula asks his friends to help train Dennis to become a monster, to no avail.
- Hiccup, having won dragon training, is given the task of killing a captive Monstrous Nightmare dragon.
- Taking a raven named Diaval as a servant, a now hate-filled Maleficent names herself ruler of the Moors.
CHANGE THE CLAUSES INTO THE PAST PARTICIPLES!
- The Royal wedding which is being broadcasted becomes the world attention.
- Thor and Foster reunite in London with Lewis and Foster’s mentor Dr. Erik Selvig—who was briefly institutionalized due to the mental trauma he suffered during Loki’s attack on Earth.
- While Baruto was being trained by Sasuke, he showed his improvement in creating rasengan.
- While Harry and his friends were hurrying to the passageway full in the black candles, they found a strange book.
- Because she was treated like a servant, she went away from the house.
- After she had been ignored by Elsa for some years, Anna felt so lonely.
- Since Rapunzel was startled by the appearance of a man, she hit him with a pan.
- Since Master Shifu was kidnapped, he pretended to be dead and finally could release himself.
- Spot which is wanted by the wild birds is running to the river which is flooded with a lot of mud.
- The laboratory which is equipped by the most sophisticated technology is led by T’Chaka’s sister, Shuri.
- Elizabeth Turner’s blood which is needed to lift the pirates’ curse becomes the most precious thing for the pirates.
- Belle and the Beast who is now transformed back into a handsome prince are dancing happily.
- The stunt of saving Dennis which was filmed by the campers and uploaded to the Internet eventually reached Mavis and Johnny.
- Because he was injured in the fight, Hiccup lost his lower left leg and required a prosthesis.
- After she was kissed by Maleficent, Aurora helped restore Maleficent’s wings to her.
CHANGE THE UNDERLINED PHRASES INTO CLAUSES!
- The ballroom used for the dancing party is decorated as a real palace ballroom.
- Malekith, awakened by the Aether’s release, turns Algrim into a Kursed and attacks Asgard.
- The chosen shinobi has to accomplish his hard mission.
- The ghost hidden by Harry Potter was about to appear when Hermione pushed its head.
- The attic used to keep old things became Cinderella’s bedroom.
- Having been crowned, Elsa exiled herself.
- Being tied on a chair with Rapunzel’s hair, the man was forced to promise her to bring her out of the castle.
- The saved baby Panda during the battle was treated by a crane to be his father.
- Annoyed by the small creature, Arlo left his house to catch it.
- The advanced laboratory built in Wakanda has devices made of vibranium.
- A young Will Turner rescued from a shipwreck by Elizabeth finally fell in love with her.
- Being attacked and nearly killed by a pack of rabid wolves, Maurice, Belle’s father winded up at the gate of a dark castle.
- Attacked by Bela, who mistakes Dennis for a human, Dennis was raged.
- Stoick, cheered by Hiccup’s unexpected success in dragon training, is proud of his lame and awkward son.
- Tortured, Aurora pleads for mercy upon Phillip and her people.
You need a practice of what you’ve learnt by listening, writing and speaking. So here are the instructions:
Finish doing all exercises? Discuss your answers with your teacher. When you quite understand them, go to the next activity.
COMPOSE A SHORT STORY! THEN, RECORD YOUR TELLING IT. IT IS BETTER IN VIDEO. PRESENT IT TO THE CLASS!
ALL ACTIVITIES HAVE BEEN COMPLETED! BEFORE ASKING FOR THE EVALUATION, GO ON TO SUMMARIZE AND CHEK YOUR UNDERTANDING THROUGH THE TABLE BELOW!
THE NEXT IS WATCH THE CHOSEN MOVIE TOGETHER WITH THE CLASS, WHILE ANSWERING SOME QUESTIONS RELATING TO THE MOVIE!.
- The function of short story is ___________________________________________
- The structure test of short story is ___________________________________________
- The function of the Adjective Clause is ___________________________________________
- The function of the Noun Clause is ___________________________________________
- The function of the Adverbial Clause is ___________________________________________
- The function of Present Participle is ___________________________________________
- The function of Past Participle is ___________________________________________
- The structure test of Adjective Clause is ___________________________________________
- The structure test of Noun Clause is ___________________________________________
- The structure test of the Adverbial Clause is ___________________________________________
- The structure test of Present Participle is ___________________________________________
- The structure test of Past Participle is ___________________________________________
CHECK WITH YOUR TEACHER WHETHER YOUR ANSWERS ARE CORRECT OR NOT. THEN FILL IN THE TABLE BELOW!
SELF-REFLECTION ON THE MASTERY OF MATERIALS
No QUESTIONS Yes No 1. Can you differentiate short story from other forms of text? 2. Do you understand the text structure of short story? 3. Can you apply clauses and participles in sentences? 4. Can you compose a short story? 5. Can you comprehend a short story through listening?