CHAPTER 4: CORRELATIVE CONJUNCTIONS
BSE : 3.4/4.4/1/4.4
3.4 menerapkan fungsi sosial, struktur teks, dan unsure kebahasaan teks interaksi transaksional lisan dan tulis yang melibatkan tindakan memberi dan meminta informasi terkait hubungan setara antara dua benda/tindakan, sesuai dengan konteks penggunaannya. (Perhatikan unsure kebahasaan both… and; not only … but also; either … or; neither … nor)
4.4 menyusun teks interaksi transaksional lisan dan tulis yang melibatkan tindakan member dan meminta informasi yang mengandung hubungan setara antara dua benda/tindakan, dengan memperhatikan fungsi sosial, struktur teks, dan unsur kebahasaan yang benar dan sesuai konteks
In this chapter, you will learn about some conjunctions. Surely, you will have to know the proper grammatical structure to make meaningful sentences. Practicing by writing and speaking is needed to enhance your understanding on the social function and the structure of conjunctions.
GENERAL INSTRUCTION : You have to do the activities step by step to understand the learning material. At the end, there will be an evaluation to test your level of understanding on the material. When your level is above the passing score, you may continue to the next material.
Before you ask for the evaluation, please ensure yourself that you have already mastered the whole material in this chapter.
Before learning :
Based on the situation given, fill in the blanks with the conjunctions provided in the box!
Plastic and fossil fuel now become the big threat for creatures’ lives. Many marine animals die because of eating the plastic waste which is thrown to the sea or ocean. Plants cannot grow healthily due to the land and air pollution. The increasing pollution in the air, in the water, and on the land causes humans get many kinds of diseases. The earth is badly damaged.
Not only…but also, both…and, either…or, and neither.
- __________ plastic waste ____________threatens the creatures’ lives.
- Plants are in danger because of __________ land __________air pollution.
- The life span of __________ animals __________plants will be shorter than it should be.
- Humans cannot live healthily and __________can plants and animals.
To understand more about how to use the conjunctions, do the following activities! See more conjunctions on the grammar book!
Whilst learning :
Here are three paragraphs containing some conjunctions you are about to learn. Write the sentences with the underlined conjunctions. Then analyze the grammatical structure of each sentence by writing the pattern.
- Both the land pollution and the water pollution influence the lives of not only human but also animals. They cannot grow healthily. Those who cannot adapt the pollution will soon be extinct. However, human, the natural destroyer, haven’t done anything yet to revitalize the damaged nature. They keep on either exploiting the natural resources overwhelmingly or throwing inorganic waste on the land and river or sea. Neither of the governments has the strict policy to save the Earth.
2. The hotels near the beach get the negative impacts of the abundant plastic waste on the beach and so do the restaurants The visitors neither pay attention on the cleanliness nor take care of the clean environment. Is that because of their typical mindset saying that there is always someone else who is paid to clean it? If it is so, either notice, announcement or warning to keep the environment clean will be useless. Therefore, families must educate their children to love their environment and schools do too.
3. Young people should be not only encouraged but also forced to reduce the use of plastic. They must understand that it will gradually both endanger the lives and cause the extinction of the creatures. Unfortunately, the grown-ups doesn’t either give the examples of caring the nature or at least have the effort to recycle or reuse. Poor the Earth! Land won’t be the comfortable place for the creature anymore, and neither will the sea or water.
To understand how to apply the conjunctions, do the exercise below! Join the two sentences into the correct and meaningful one by using one or two conjunctions!
- Plastic is used in food industries. Plastic is used in beverage industries.
- The people’s knowledge on the danger of plastic is still low. The awareness on the danger of plastic is still low.
- Water pollution cannot be tolerated anymore. Land pollution cannot be tolerated anymore.
- The natural resources must be taken care of simultaneously. The natural resources must be taken care of in an integrative system.
- According to people, plastic is durable. According to people, plastic is efficient.
- Consumers don’t care about how to recycle the plastic waste. Producers don’t care about how to recycle the plastic waste.
- There have been plenty of pictures about reusing the plastic waste. There have been plenty of videos about reusing the plastic waste.
- Some tutorial videos on recycling plastic waste may inspire people to so the same. Some tutorial videos on recycling plastic waste may motivate people to be more creative.
- Being creative in processing the plastic waste can open a new business. Being creative in processing the plastic waste can increase the family income.
- The marine lives are badly impacted due to the tremendous plastic waste in the ocean. The people’s oceanic food is badly impacted due to the tremendous plastic waste in the ocean.
- The land is polluted by the bottled water and plastic-wrapped snacks. The water – rivers and ocean – is polluted by the bottled water and plastic-wrapped snacks.
- Governments are forced to manage their plastic waste by recycling it. Governments are forced to manage their plastic waste by reusing it.
- For good news, there have been many creative people using plastic for decoration. Some governments establish a department to manage the plastic waste.
- In fact, people know the danger of the plastic waste. People realize that it is going to be a deadly catastrophic disaster.
- Ecologists work hard to find the ways to clean the environment from the plastic waste. The environmentalists work hard to find the ways to clean the environment from the plastic waste.
Correct the sentences below!
- Indonesia has not only many beautiful beaches but wonderful marine lives.
- A lot of schools still ignore their plastic waste and so are the governmental offices.
- The amount of plastic which is drifting on the seas is either alarming nor worrying.
- Either the ecologists or the environmentalist have a great concern on the fact that on some beaches on the Big Island of Hawaii, as much as 15 percent of the sand is actually grains of microplastic.
- Both wind turbines and solar panels is ever-more common, not only in the west and in fast-growing China.
- Industries drain the fuel mines and neither do the steam engines.
- Either coal nor oil helps humans get improving technologies.
- Many governments are now trying to subsidize not only the clean-power sources and efficient cars and buildings.
- Neither renewables nor nuclear power sources still cannot displace the fossil fuel.
- The weather is greatly affected by the over-consumption of fossil fuel and the air pollution is either.
- The rise of temperature in the Earth either has resulted in melting of polar ice caps or in flooding of low lying area.
- Oil can be highly dangerous but also cause a massive damage.
- The result of fuel combustion can cause serious health complications and the emission of the greenhouse gasses too.
- Neither the oil leaks from the oil tanker or the oil spill on the ocean endanger the oceanic biota.
- Either the wind turbines or solar panels the alternative renewable sources of energy.
Apply those conjunctions in a dialogue with your friends!
NOW, SUMMARIZE WHAT YOU HAVE LEARNT BY COMPLETING THE SENTENCES BELOW! TRY NOT SEEING THE GRAMMAR BOOK.
- How do we use “both …and”, “not only …but also”, “either … or” and “neither … nor”?
- How do we use “and …too” and “and …either”?
- How do we use “and so…” and “and neither …”
- Give example of each conjunction!
SHOW YOUR ANSWERS TO THE TEACHER AND LET HER / HIM CHECK IT.
NOW, FILL IN THE TABLE BELOW TO REFLECT YOURSELF ON UNDERSTANDING THE MATERIAL!
SELF-REFLECTION ON THE MASTERY OF MATERIALS
|1.||Can you differentiate the function of each conjunction?|
|2.||Can you apply those conjunctions in sentences?|