HORTATORY EXPOSITION TEXTS
to persuade the readers that something should or should not be the case or be done
Read the text below well, then write the main idea of each paragraph!
Many applicants are disappointed when they fail in the interview after succeeding a series of tests. They just feel unfair. Some of them are nervous when invited for the interview despite of the preparation, while some others underestimate it. They think that it’s just a common interview that they can handle. Unfortunately, the job interview needs both mental and intellectual preparation. Someone with high intelligence may fail their job interview because of some reasons such as nervousness and improper attitude. Considering this fact, a job seeker should prepare the interview section well which is actually the most important of all the series of tests.
The first argument is that the job seekers, in fact, who have been through the tough selection tests must be the qualified ones. So, the interview should be the opportunity for them to show that they are excellent and appropriate for the job. However, sometimes the ones who are intelligent cannot express what is in their mind clearly. They lack of the communication skill. Therefore, this skill must be trained a lot in order that they become more communicative.
Secondly, the communication skill will be useful when working no matter which field of work they are in. Interacting with colleagues can be done smoothly when we have a good skill in communicating with the fellow workers having different characters. An excellent team work gives much support on achieving the target. Therefore, a job interview is the mirror that reflects the job seekers’ true skill and attitude.
Based on the arguments above, the job seekers should have some training in facing the interview or at least they should figure out whatever needed in the interview to represent who they are. (Written by Hedwig)
Fill in the blank with the appropriate word from the text!
- Although the … have high intelligence, they may not be accepted to work in an institution or company.
- Some young people … the importance of communication skill because they are used to having a chat through gadget.
- Many job seekers still think that … preparation is not needed as intelligence is the most important.
- When what we do or speak is … to the local tradition or custom, it is possible that others may consider us impolite.
- The selection of the applicants can be quite … for most of them have good quality which agrees to the requirement.
- Some students lose the … to be the internship in this big company due to the lack of discipline.
- If the interviewee is …, he / she can influence the interviewer’s consideration on him or her.
- … is someone whom we work with in a profession or business.
- How we behave ourselves reflects the good … toward others.
- If you know what you want to … in our life, you will be highly motivated.
Read the text below well, then choose the correct main idea below for each paragraph!
- The way people destroy the environment is alarming.
- Natural sciences are some of the subjects taught at school.
- Schools have important function to motivate students to love the nature.
- The success of the saving the nature depends on the teachers’ commitments.
- There are some ways for the young people to save the nature.
- Having outdoor activities is good to encourage students to protect the nature.
- Schools should motivate students to love and save the nature due to the alarming condition of the nature.
Indonesia is blessed with a wonderful and rich nature, but people don’t take care of them carefully. They destroy it by burning the forests, for example, and changing them into the palm plantation or houses. The rivers are polluted by sewage, other chemical substances from factories or hospitals or plastic waste people throw every day. People haven’t even realized that the changing of the temperature nowadays is because of humans’ ego. If there is not caring on the environment, sooner or later the earth will be badly damaged and becomes the dangerous planet to live on. Accordingly, schools where young people learn about many things should give activities which relate to loving the nature or saving the environment. Here are the following reasons.
Schools teach natural sciences. Those subjects can be applied in the daily activities that relate to saving the nature like recycling and reusing plastics easily collected at school. Teachers can motivate the students to apply what they have learnt to experiment the chemical and physical process to recycle plastics or other things that cannot be decomposed naturally. Experience can give a boosting effect for the students to innovate or discover methods to manage the non-organic waste. Imagine that if each school in this country has such activity, how much can they save the earth? Surely, it needs the school’s or teachers’ commitment. If they don’t care about their environment, how can they motivate their students to do that?
Another reason is that schools have more facilities to hold such activities. Mountain climbing, and students’ scouts are the instances of them. These give the students the experience of how nature treats human and the other creatures. They will admire the GOD’s creation. Most of the students’ time is at home or at school – in a building. So, when they undergo the fresh air and enjoy the beauty of the nature frequently while camping or climbing a mountain, they may grow their love to the nature and realize that their life absolutely depends on it. This understanding stimulates their creativity to find the ways to save the environment.
In short, schools play the main role in educating young people to love the nature which is going worse and worse, and experience teaches them a lot. When young people begin to love their nature, they will find how to revitalize and protect it. The young people are the super energy of the world. (by Hedwig Maria)
Find the word which best defines the underlined word!
- The rivers are polluted by sewage.
- People haven’t even realized that the changing of the temperature nowadays is because of humans’ ego.
- The earth will be badly damaged and becomes the dangerous planet to live on.
- Teachers can motivate the students to apply what they have learnt to experiment the chemical and physical process to recycle plastics or other things that cannot be decomposed
- Experience can give a boosting effect for the students to innovate or discover methods to manage the non-organic
- It needs the school’s or teachers’
- These give the students the experience of how nature treats human and the other creatures.
- They will admire the GOD’s creation.
- They undergo the fresh air.
- This understanding stimulates their creativity to find the ways to save the environment.
Read the text well, then choose the correct answer!
The development of Artificial Intelligence is so fast that we will fall behind if we don’t catch it up. Many kinds of work done by human have been replaced by robots. It is predicted that human workforce won’t be needed in the next 25 years. This is called the Industrial Revolution 4.0 era. So how about the young generation? Can they get a job easily? The answer depends on whether they are able to adapt the situation or not. Surely, the ability of adaptation needs the power of creativity, discovery, innovation, analysis, and highly order thinking. Hence, students should be prepared to face the industrial revolution 4.0.
The fourth industrial revolution is based on the cyber physical production system (CPPS) merging virtual and real world. A cyber-physical system aims at the integration of computation and physical processes. This means that computers and networks are able to monitor the physical process of manufacturing at a certain process. Understanding what industrial revolution 4.0 is, we should realize that we deal with such big data that are interconnected to one another. When we can manage those data, the manufacturing activities will be more efficient and productive. Consequently, this will boost the production. For instance, the equipment installed at the mining place can censor a problem like the oxygen levels. The faster the problem is solved, the more yields the company can get. Surely, the ability of analyzing and administering the big data is absolutely demanded.
It is common that teaching activities still conventionally focus on counting, and memorizing. Unwilling to get a lot of knowledge by reading, many teachers feel disable to give the students problems to be solved . This causes them easily to give up when they face even a simple problem. Whereas, in this fourth industrial revolution the ability to find the solution is necessary. Thinking critically must be trained frequently for all subjects they are learning. Teachers must let them experience the difficult situation and see what they are going to do to coup with it. Having ability to solve problems has been more important than having high intelligence. Furthermore, it has become one of the requirements in any job vacancy recently.
In short, making the students literate to technology should be taught earlier so that they are not only accustomed to thinking critically on whatever they face but also able to find the solution creatively and innovatively. This will make them capable to adapt the technologically change which becomes much faster than we ever taught.
(Written by Hedwig Maria)
1. Which is the correct thesis for the text above?
A. It should be known that Artificial Intelligence develops as fast as what we think.
B. Everyone is recommended to understad what Artificial Intelligence is.
C. It is advisable for teachers and students to be creative and innovative at present.
D. Teachers had better make the students ready for entering the Industrial Revolution 4.0 era.
E. It will be understood why students are being prepared for Industrial Revolution 4.0 era.
2. How does the second paragraph relate to the first?
A. The second paragraph shows the argument supporting the thesis.
B. The second paragraph refutes the thesis found in the first paragraph.
C. The second paragraph describes the ideas of the first paragraph.
D. The first paragraph tells the fact of the problem found in paragraph two.
E. The first paragraph leads to the opposing ideas found in paragraph two.
3. “….This causes them easily to give up…” What does “this” refer to? (p. Three line three)
A. The unconventionally teaching activities
B. The teacher’s unwillingness to read a lot
C. The teaching focus on counting and memorizing
D. the disability to give students problems to be solved
E. The teachers’ shortage of knowledge
4. Based on the text, which is the incorrect statement?
A. A lot of people working in manufactures may lose their jobs in some years later.
B. The combination of virtual and real world is important in the Industrial Revolution 4.0.
C. Manufactures will need persons with high competence in computer and network.
D. The incompetent teacher may influence students’ ability to coup with difficulties.
E. Teachers must experience difficult situation to adapt with the job requirements.
5. “…it has become one of the requirements in any job vacancy recently.” What is the most suitable word to replace the underlined word?
A. Conditions B. Demands C. Obligations D. Commands E. instructions