BSE : 3.6/4.6/4/6.1
Chapter 6 : Talking on the phone about : event, offer, promise, reservation, etc. with Modal Verbs and Modal Perfect
Subject: ENGLISH LITERATURE
SEMESTER : FOUR
Time allocation : 11 X 45 minutes
3.6 menerapkan fungsisosial, struktur teks, dan unsur kebahasaan teks interaksi transaksional lisan dan tulis yang melibatkan tindakan memberi dan meminta informasi melalui telepon terkait acara, tawaran, janji dan reservasi, sesuai dengan konteks penggunaannya.
4.6 menyusun teks interaksi transaksional lisan dan tulis yang melibatkan tindakan memberi dan meminta informasi melalui telepon terkait acara, tawaran, janji dan reservasi, dengan memperhatikan fungsi sosial, struktur teks, dan unsur kebahasaan yang benar dan sesuai konteks.
In this chapter, you will learn about how to have a phone call dealing to event, offer, promise, reservation, etc. Surely, you will have to know the proper grammatical structure used to make the whole dialogue meaningful. Practicing how to compose those dialogues is needed to enhance your understanding on the social function and the text structure of those expressions.
- Learning process
GENERAL INSTRUCTION : You must ensure that you understand the material step by step. At the end, there will be an evaluation to test your level of understanding on the material. When your level is above the passing score, you may continue to the next material. Before you ask for the evaluation, please ensure yourself that you have already mastered the whole material in this chapter.
A request to someone to do something for us is a common thing people have in having an interaction, and promises and offers are too. Now, write a request, a promise and an offer you have ever made to your friends, parents or someone else.
You had better do some exercises below to learn some other expressions.
STATE WHAT EACH NUMBER EXPRESS! IT IS BETTER FOR YOU TO READ THE GRAMMAR BOOK ON MODAL VERBS BEFORE DOING THIS EXERCISE.
- Listen! Everyone has to win once in these games in order not to be eliminated.
- Shall we have fun activities for these children?
- I cannot activate this program right now for there is still a problem with the execution.
- Sir, would you check the data we sent to you just now? We need your quick decision.
- Can I help you dry these clothes? It’s going to rain.
- We may get the front seat if we leave now. So, hurry up!
- People could be more tolerant to something different around them some years ago.
- We may not enter these two cages because this is a mating season for them.
- Will you connect us to your boss? We have some important information.
- Of course, I will finish editing the video as soon as possible.
- Should I schedule your activities, Sir? You look so confused with all of these activities.
- Every one may taste each dish. We are promoting some new menus.
- We don’t have to stay here the whole afternoon. He allows us to go home earlier.
- Some prisoners can still control the distribution of the drugs.
- The landslides can still occur in some regions during this rainy season.
- Can you plug the data into the computer? I’m still busy now.
- Don’t worry, we will take care of the souvenirs. We know where to find them.
- Shall I speak to your parents about this plan? Hopefully, they will agree to it.
- Should we spend our holidays exploring the historical sites for our research?
- You must revise your paper now or you’ll get zero.
- He can’t show up in this gathering because he is still angry with me.
- He might not tell anything about his personal life.
- We mustn’t speak in Indonesian during the seminar to train our English.
- Would you mind pouring some wine into this dough?
- You can use my laptop. I have finished my task.
- You shouldn’t fail your customers with these qualified services and products.
- Would you like to verify what you said? Everyone becomes confused about your statement.
- Would you like us to handle the hotel reservation and the transportation? This is one of our services.
- You should read the instructions carefully before installing this device.
- This company must be in financial distress after getting some losses for some months.
AFTER CLASSIFYING THE SENTENCES INTO CERTAIN EXPRESSIONS, WRITE WHICH MODAL VERBS ARE USED FOR EACH EXPRESSION. (One expression has been done for you.)
- Suggestion : shall, should
MAKE YOUR OWN SENTENCE SHOWING EACH EXPRESSION YOU CAN FIND IN ACTIVITY TWO.
CHOOSE FIVE EXPRESSIONS FROM ACTIVITY TWO TO BE MADE INTO FIVE DIFFERENT DIALOGUES! THE DIALOGUES ARE SET TO BE THE ONE SPOKEN ON THE PHONE.
Example : Ali : Hello, am I speaking to Ira?
Ira : Sure.
Ali : Sorry, that I didn’t answer your call some minutes ago because I left my phone in my bedroom. Is there something I can help?
Ira : Yes, I told my parents about our plan, but it seemed that they were still not sure about it. They need some time to consider it.
Ali : Shall I speak to your parents about this plan? Hopefully, they will agree to it.
Ira : That’s what I need because our time is limited and I need their consent.
Ali : Ok. I’m going to your house in an hour. Are your parents available now?
Ira : Yes, they are having lunch. Thank you so much for your help.
Ali : Don’t mention it!
In the next two exercises, you will learn about the differences between Modal Verbs and Modal Perfect.
CHOOSE THE CORRECT ANSWER!
- If you had shared the location, they (wouldn’t get / wouldn’t have got) lost yesterday.
- He has been in London for three years. His English (must be / must have been) much better than mine.
- How stupid I was! I (should back up / should have backed up) my data before I re-installing my computer.
- We need not to be worried because the packages (will arrive / will have arrived) by Wednesday. We still have three days to unpack them and arrange all the items.
- The fishermen (could get / could have gotten) a lot of fish from this lake before the coal mining was built near it.
- Some prisoners look happy. They (may have / may have had) a phone call to someone they miss for some minutes.
- The big question is where the father was. He (could save/ could have saved) his family from the terrible murder as he was one of the best soldiers.
- Everyone has a deep pity for the old woman’s arrest. She (may not know/ may not have known) that her bag contained drugs as there are bags having the same models as hers.
- The visitors (may take /may have taken) some pictures on the most wonderful spot if the way to go there hadn’t been damaged.
- We (should be / should have been) technologically literate if we don’t want to fall behind other countries’ fast development.
- You (must be / must have been) quite disappointed yesterday. You had prepared everything but your guests cancelled the meeting.
- A traveler (must have / must have had) a complete map with him during his traveling.
- The skillful workers (must get/ must have gotten) more chances to be accepted in many kinds of job than the unskillful ones.
- Our boss (can’t have/ can’t have had) the good reason to postpone the meeting as we have given to him all of the reports he needs to be discussed.
- Some detained mayors (can’t have / can’t have had attention) on people’s welfare for they corrupted the people’s money for their own needs.
WRITE THE MEANING OR THE FACT OF EACH UNDERLINED SENTENCE!
- If some young people hadn’t protected Soekarno and friends, he couldn’t have proclaimed the independence for Indonesia.
- Some foreigner botanists may have bred these rare plants in this garden years ago.
- There have been many teenagers getting deep stressed due to the mobile phone. Parents should not have given the phone when they were still kids.
- I just wonder how it happened. He could have saved himself.
- The students can’t have been able to finish their writing as the time was only 25 minutes for 500 words.
- All of the climbers must have prepared everything including their stamina before mounting the highest mountain in the world.
- We wouldn’t have left him alone if we had known that he was afraid of the dark.
- If the waves hadn’t been too high, we may have gone surfing.
- This village has been empty since the virus attacked its people. They may not have known what attacked them.
- Every Mayor will have reported their wealth by the end of this month.
- Some miners can’t have thought about the risk of digging the land for tens of meters.
- The young terrorists must have got the wrong concept of an ideology when they were still kids.
- Some greatest inventors may not have thought the impact of their invention to the world.
- We should have checked the suitcase before buying it. Now, we regret it.
- If we had reserved the hotel a month earlier, we would have got the one that was near the event.
CHOOSE THE PROPER SENTENCE TO COMPLETE EACH DIALOGUE!
For the first dialogue :
a. That’s correct. Can you buy me the VIP ticket? b. Are still doing your hobby? c. I will see you if the time is convenient. d. I have to meet my lecturer for my exam.
Rojer : Hello, this is Rojer speaking.
Yoan : Hi, Rojer, still remember me? It’s Yoan, your classmate when we were eight graders.
Rojer : Ahh… I see. You were the naughtiest girl. How is the life with you? (1) __________
Yoan : I’m pretty fine. Sure, that’s why I call you. I hear that there is going to be a carnival in your town, the international one.
Rojer : Yep … will you come to see it?
Yoan : (2) ___________
Rojer : Sure, I will. How many tickets do you need?
Yoan : Four, but wait… will you accompany me to see it?
Rojer : Sorry, I’m afraid I can’t. (3) ________________
Yoan : That’s ok. Will you send me a message when you get the tickets? I’ll transfer the money.
Rojer : Don’t worry!
Yoan : Thanks, Rojer for your help. (4) _______________
Rojer : It’s my pleasure.
For the second dialogue:
e. You may not go anywhere, just stay near him. f. I can’t accept your call now. g. could you listen for a while?
Finna : Hello …. Dion..
Dion : Sorry, Finna (5) __________ as I am having a meeting.
Finna : Please, (6) __________This is about our father. He got a heart attack. I am in the hospital now.
Dion : What? I am off straight away. Whom are you with now?
Finna : No one.
Dion : I am arriving in fifteen minutes. (7) ____________
Finna : Alright, but have a careful driving. I’m taking care of him.
For the third dialogue:
h. Would you mind spelling your name? i. Can I also book a restaurant for one night on Sunday? j. Can you connect me to Mr. Indiana? k. May I know your name, Sir? l. Are they facing the beach?
Erain : Hello, good morning! This is Irama Hotel. Can I help you?
Mr. Fat : Yes, I want to reserve three rooms for this Sunday.
Erain : (8) _______________
Mr. Fat : I am Fattali Wiryono.
Erain : I beg your pardon. (9) _______________
Mr. Fat : F-A-T-T-A-L-I W-I-R-Y-O-N-O
Erain : Thank you, and your address, please?
Mr. Fat : Brawijaya street number 123 Malang.
Erain : Thank you. We have three kinds of room, the standard, deluxe and suite. Which do you prefer, Sir?
Mr. Fat : Two suites and one deluxe. (10) ____________
Erain : Yes, Sir! For the suites, we have a private swimming pool near the beach. How long will you stay?
Mr. Fat : We plan to have three days. (11) ________________
Erain : I’m sorry. I’m afraid that you cannot use it because someone else has booked it on the same day.
Mr. Fat : (12)____________ I want to talk to him.
Erain : Oh …sure.
TO PRACTICE YOUR UNDERSTANDING ON SOME EXPRESSIONS ABOVE, HAVE A PHONE CALL TO YOUR TEACHER BY USING THOSE EXPRESSIONS.
Let’s summarize what we have learnt!
- How is the structure of a sentence with Modal Verb?
- How is the structure of a sentence with Modal Perfect?
- What is the different social function between Modal Verb and Modal Perfect?
- Mention some expressions which use Modal Verbs!
- Mention some expressions which use Modal Perfect!
- SELF-REFLECTION ON THE MASTERY OF MATERIALS
|1.||Can you differentiate the sentence structure of Modal Verb from that of Modal Perfect?|
|2.||Can you differentiate the social function of Modal Verb from that of Modal Perfect?|
|3.||Can you mention some expressions which use Modal Verbs and apply them in daily conversation?|
|4.||Can you mention some expressions which use Modal Perfect and apply them in daily conversation?|