BSE : 3.8/4.8/2/7.3
Chapter 8: Report text on technology and Noun Clause
3.8 membedakan fungsi sosial, struktur teks, dan unsu rkebahasaan beberapa teks report lisan dan tulis dengan memberi dan meminta informasi terkait teknologi yang tercakup dalam mata pelajaran lain di Kelas X sesuai dengan konteks penggunaannya
4.8 teks report
4.8.1 menangkap makna secara kontekstual terkait fungsi sosial, struktur teks, dan unsur kebahasaan teks report lisan dan tulis, terkait teknologi yang tercakup dalam mata pelajaran lain di Kelas X
4.8.2 menyusun teks report lisan dan tulis, terkait teknologi yang tercakup dalam mata pelajaran lain di Kelas X, dengan memperhatikan fungsi sosial, struktur teks, dan unsur kebahasaan, secara benar dan sesuai konteks
In this chapter, you will learn about Report texts on technology. Surely, you will have to understand the proper grammatical structure you can find in the sentences. Practicing how to compose a report text by using proper grammatical structures is needed to enhance your understanding on the social function and structure of the report text.
GENERAL INSTRUCTION: You must ensure that you understand the material step by step. At the end, there will be an evaluation to test your level of understanding on the material. When your level is above the passing score, you may continue to the next material. Before you ask for the evaluation, please ensure yourself that you have already mastered the whole material in this chapter.
Answer the questions below!
- What is technology?
- Mention kinds of technology you are familiar with.
You can learn a lot about technology by reading a lot. The four texts below will give you understanding about technology as well as the genre of the texts, that is Report text.
Here are four texts to be discussed in groups! One group discusses one text. Present the result of the discussion in front of the class! You may add some information relating to the text. The questions below each text may help you understand the text well.
Applications can be divided into three categories based on how they are developed and distributed. Commercial applications such as word processors, spreadsheets, and general-purpose Database management Systems (DBmS) are developed by companies specializing in such software and distributed to a variety of businesses and individual users. Niche or specialized applications (such as hospital billing systems) are designed for and marketed to a particular industry. These programs tend to be much more expensive and usually include extensive technical support. Finally, in-house applications are developed by programmers within a business or other institution for their own use. Examples might include employee training aids or a Web-based product catalog (although such applications could also be developed using commercial software such as multimedia or database development tools). While each application area has its own needs and priorities, the discipline of software development is generally applicable to all major products. Software developers try to improve speed of development as well as program reliability by using software development tools that simplify the writing and testing of computer code, as well as the manipulation of graphics, sound, and other resources used by the program. An applications developer must also have a good understanding of the features and limitations of the relevant operating system. The developer of commercial software must work closely with the marketing department to work out issues of feature selection, timing of releases, and anticipation of trends in software use.
Answer the questions below!
- How are the applications categorized?
- What does the first sentence show?
- Who are the users of Commercial applications?
- What is the difference between Commercial applications and Niche ones?
- Can Niche applications be used for individual users? Explain your answer.
- “These programs tend …” (line 5) What does “these programs” refer to?
- Are the programmers of all applications the same? Explain your answer.
- “….for their own use.” (line 7) What does “their” refer to?
- What is meant by “employee training aids”?
- What do the software developers use to speed up the development of a software?
Starting in the 1980s, many organizations sought to connect their employees’ desktop computers so they could share central databases, share or back up files, communicate via e-mail, and collaborate on projects. A system that links computers within a single office or home, or a larger area such as a building or campus, is called a local area network (LAN). (Larger networks linking branches of an organization throughout the country or world are called wide area networks, or WANs. See network.)
There are two basic ways to connect computers in a LAN. The first, called Ethernet, was developed by a project at the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center (PARC) led by Robert Metcalfe. Ethernet uses a single cable line called a bus to which all participating computers are connected. Each data packet is received by all computers, but processed only by the one it is addressed to. Before sending a packet, a computer first checks to make sure the line is free. Sometimes, due to the time delay before a packet is received by all computers, another computer may think the line is free and start transmitting. The resulting collision is resolved by having both computers stop and wait varying times before resending. Because connecting all computers to a single bus line is impractical in larger installations, Ethernet networks are
frequently extended to multiple offices by connecting a bus in each office to a switch, creating a subnetwork or segment (this is sometimes called a star topology). The switches are then connected to a main bus. Packets are first routed to the switch for the segment containing the destination computer.
The switch then dispatches the packet to the destination computer. Another advantage of this switched Ethernet system is that more-expensive, high-bandwidth cable can be used to connect the switches to move the packets more quickly over greater distances, while less-expensive cabling can be used to connect each computer to its local switch. An alternative way to arrange a LAN is called token ring. Instead of the computers being connect to a bus that ends in a terminator, they are connected in a circle where the last computer is connected to the first. Interference is prevented by using a special packet called the token. Like the use of a “talking stick” in a tribal council, only the computer holding the token can transmit at a given time. After transmitting, the computer puts the token back into circulation so it can be grabbed by the next computer that wants to send data.
(taken from Henderson Encyclopedia of Computer Science and Technology)
State whether the statement below is true or false!
- The aim of building LAN was to search the employee’s connection on their desktop computers.
- The need of sharing database and backup files was the factor of LAN innovation.
- LAN and WAN have similar system.
- Ethernet is one of the basic ways in a LAN that connects the participants’ computer with a bus.
- The data which are sent to computers can be processed in those computers.
- More than two packets can be sent in the same time if the line is free.
- The collision of the data may happen when there is a delayed transmitting.
- Star topology is effectively used in a larger installation.
- In the switched Ethernet system, the high-bandwidth is used in both greater and lower distances.
- The difference between Ethernet system and token ring lies on how all computers connected.
- In token ring, the token can be used by any computer.
Technology has improved in any field so fast that it is useful for everyone to have their job more effective and efficient. With the emergence of big data that are interconnected to one another, there appear some ways technology can contribute in healthcare. They don’t have any relation with the medical advancement or the new forms of medical treatments, but rather on the influence of technology on healthcare. The first is the remote examination. By using telecommunication technology, patients can consult a physician on their sickness via a video call. This virtual visit will significantly save not only the time for both the patient and the doctor but also the old people who may get heart attacks or falls. The next is on-the-go-smartphone monitoring. This is a combination of smartphone and wearable devices. By downloading a certain application in the smartphone, for example, one can detect his or her amount of blood sugar level through the device he or she is wearing. This crucial information from the device may help the person decide how to treat the disease. The linked data from patients, surely guaranteed not to be exposed freely, give more accuracy on the analyses of human condition. The following is also impactful enough to healthcare, that is 3D printing. It is used to print from synthetic skin to prosthetics.
(adapted from: July 19, 2018, Technology and Healthcare: Do the two go hand-in-hand?; http://www.healthtechzone.com/topics/healthcare/articles/2018/07/19/438846-technology-healthcare-the-two-go-hand-in-hand.htm)
Write the lines of sentences in the passage where you can find the statement below!
- Healthcare is quite efficient by the assistance of technology.
- Doctors are able to help more patients despite the absence of face to face consultation.
- The emergence of apps connected to certain devices helps people take care of their own health.
- The development in printing gives doctors the clear images on human bodies.
Food processing is the transformation of agricultural products into food, or of one form of food into other forms. Food processing includes many forms of processing foods, from grinding grain to make raw flour to home cooking to complex industrial methods used to make convenience foods. There are three classifications of the food processing.
Primary food processing turns agricultural products, such as raw wheat kernels or livestock, into something that can eventually be eaten. This category includes ingredients that are produced by ancient processes such as drying, threshing, winnowing, and milling grain, shelling nuts, and butchering animals for meat. It also includes deboning and cutting meat, freezing and smoking fish and meat, extracting and filtering oils, canning food, preserving food through food irradiation, and candling eggs, as well as homogenizing and pasteurizing milk. Contamination and spoilage problems in primary food processing can lead to significant public health threats, as the resulting foods are used so widely. However, many forms of processing contribute to improved food safety and longer shelf life before the food spoils. Commercial food processing uses control systems such as hazard analysis and critical control points (HACCP) and failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA) to reduce the risk of harm. Baking bread is an example of secondary food processing.
Secondary food processing is the everyday process of creating food from ingredients that are ready to use. Baking bread, regardless of whether it is made at home, in a small bakery, or in a large factory, is an example of secondary food processing. Fermenting fish and making wine, beer, and other alcoholic products are traditional forms of secondary food processing. Sausages are a common form of secondary processed meat, formed by comminution (grinding) of meat that has already undergone primary processing.
Based on the passage,
- We can conclude that in food processing, agricultural products …
- We know that public health can be threatened …
- It is inferred that avoiding the spoilage of the food …
- We can get the conclusion that in the secondary food processing, the ingredients …
- It can be concluded that re-heated airline meals …
To understand the texts more, you had better learn about the clauses.
Review Adjective Clause
Complete the sentences below!
- The farmers who … produce the best wine in this region.
- By using high technology, some artists whom … are displaying their art work in the international art exhibition.
- We are looking for teenagers whose …
- Teaching methods which … will interest students to learn science.
- Urban people have been used to the communication technology which …
- What parents should learn is applying some applications that …
- Some doctors whose … have applied the virtual visit.
- The business activities which … become more and more effective.
- People whose … get advantages from the development in the communication technology.
- The teachers who … must be literate.
- Some educators think that characters which … will help students to improve their own live.
- Some games which … can be used for building characters.
- Teachers can use some applications which … in their teaching and learning process.
- Technology which … may help improve airline safety.
- Public transportations which … becomes more and more comfortable.
Change the underlined noun into a proper noun clause.
- People improve technology for getting more money.
- The number of airplane with high technology becomes the main topic of people’s discussing.
- The government’s decision is on the new regulation on the airline safety.
- Businessmen implement technology in their strategy to gain a lot of profit.
- A profit-making and Cost-saving aspect is considered thoroughly.
- The way people communicate has been changed since the discovery of gadgets.
- The place for displaying new technologies in art is still being discussed.
- Do people really care about the damage of the environments?
- The question is the technician’s competence.
- Don’t you understand the reason of giving them the hard punishment on this task?
- We should pay attention on the little amount of people’s knowledge on recycling waste.
- His ability to persuade people leads him to this position.
- Everyone won’t agree to the time for holding the ceremony.
- Anime is the only historian rejecting the high technology in his research.
- The people’s preference in using mass media determines their existence.
Complete the sentences below!
- That … amazes people.
- We believe that …
- Our decision is that …
- Whom … doesn’t matter for me.
- A lot of people concern much on how …
- Some factories are interested in what …
- We may not avoid what …
- How many … has been on the list.
- The staff reported that …
- We want to know why …
- All leaders in the world agree that …
- When … will become the unforgettable moment.
- He often asks me which …
- The problem is whose …
- What … may influence his decision.
Use the information from the texts above to make 10 sentences by using adjective clause or noun clause!