BSE : 3.9/4.9/2/9.1
3.9 menafsirkan fungsi sosial, struktur teks, dan unsur kebahasaan teks khusus dalam bentuk proverb dan riddle, dengan memberi dan meminta informasi terkait kehidupan remaja sesuai dengan konteks penggunaannya
4.9 Menangkap makna secara kontekstual terkait fungsi sosial, struktur teks, dan unsur kebahasaan teks khusus proverb dan riddle terkait kehidupan remaja
In this chapter, you will learn about Proverbs and Riddles. Surely, reading a lot and having many vocabularies are helpful in understanding the meaning of them. Then, practicing making your own proverbs and riddles is needed to enhance your understanding on their social function.
GENERAL INSTRUCTION: You must ensure that you understand the material step by step. At the end, there will be an evaluation to test your level of understanding on the material. When your level is above the passing score, you may continue to the next material. Before you ask for the evaluation, please ensure yourself that you have already mastered the whole material in this chapter.
Answer the questions below! You may discuss them with your friends.
What do you think the sentence means?
- “What goes up but never comes down?” (from: Just Joking 2, National Geographic)
Do you know the answer of this question?
When you can answer the two questions above, hopefully you will understand what they are.
Here are some exercises, you can try to do!
Tell the meaning of each proverb below!
- Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
- Actions speak louder than words.
- A fool and his money are soon parted.
- All roads lead to Rome.
- Beauty is only skin deep
- Better to be poor and healthy rather than rich and sick.
- Blood is thicker than water.
- Don’t count your chickens before they hatch.
- Early bird catches the worm.
- Every cloud has a silver lining.
- God helps those who help themselves
- Honesty is the best policy.
- It’s better to be safe than sorry.
- It’s no use crying over spilt milk.
- Keep your mouth shut and your eyes open.
- Learn to walk before you run.
- No gain without pain.
- Paddle your own canoe.
- Practice makes perfect.
- Where there’s a will, there’s a way.
After you have known each meaning, complete the sentences below by choosing the appropriate one from part I.
- It’s useless for you to be too proud of your beauty, but you don’t have good brain, behavior, and inner beauty because …
- Though the boy hasn’t known that the person in front of him is his father, both of them feel that …
- Why don’t you tell the truth to your girlfriend? I am sure she will understand and may help you to solve your problem. …
- A leader who can talk only won’t be respected if he still doesn’t realize that …
- We had better complete our job as soon as possible for we can get benefit from the longer rest of time. I believe that ….
- Our beloved parents passed away ten years ago, but we always feel that they are around and …
- Please, do something! You can’t be just quiet and wait! …
- You should have listened to their explanation. If you want to know whether they told you the truth or not, you just observe them. … is the wise way to manage them.
- I don’t understand why most students often aren’t able to do their task themselves. Even, some have as many courses as the subjects are. They cannot …
- You cannot fight this way. Your uncontrolled movement cannot produce great power. Then, you have to master the basic skills first. It is like …
- There are some religions in our country. However, we never feel different for …
- It seems that you don’t care about your future as you just spend your time gaming. … So, work hard from now or you will never get the best in your life.
- Never give up making efforts to reach your dream despite many hindrances you face for …
- Put the helmet on you children. …
- It’s not easy for people having misery to think that … because they believe that the misery is God’s punishment.
- Do you understand why I asked you to practice speaking and writing everyday only for five to ten minutes? It is because …
- Working hard for money by ignoring our health will let diseases attack our body. Therefore, …
- It’s better for you to move on because… This failure motivates you to be better.
- It’s not good for us to predict what will happen before we collect the data as many as we need. I recommend you …
- Despite the heir of a millionaire, you will lose everything if you cannot manage the wealth well because …
- To practice speaking, choose one of them that suits to your experience and tell it to the class. This may inspire your friends.
RIDDLES (All riddles are taken from “Just Joking 2”, National Geographic KIDS)
Find the answer of each riddle below!
- Why are flamingos always happy?
- What happened after the girl drank eight cans of soda?
- Why did the kid eat his homework?
- What’s a witch’s favorite subject in school?
- Why do hens lay eggs?
- What is the richest kind of air?
- What did the hat say to the hat rack?
- Why was the farmer famous?
- What is the elephant’s favorite vegetable?
- What part of the fish weighs the most?
- What makes the letter G scary?
- What washes up on very small beaches?
- What do you call a rabbit who is really cool?
- Why do dogs run in circle?
- What kind of driver never gets a ticket?
- Why did the cheetah refuse to bathe in dishwashing detergent?
- What has a head and a tail but no body?
- What kind of ship never sinks?
- Why do bees have sticky hair?
- What is the hottest letter in the alphabet?
When all of the riddles are answered, make your own riddles as many as you can to be presented to the class.