BSE : 3.6/4.6/6/6.3
3.6 membedakan fungsi sosial, struktur teks, dan unsur kebahasaan beberapa teks pembahasan ilmiah (discussion) lisan dan tulis dengan memberi dan meminta informasi terkait pembahasan isu kontrovesial dan aktual dari beberapa (minimal dua) sudut pandang, sesuai dengan konteks penggunaannya
4.6 teks pembahasan ilmiah (discussion)
4.6.1 menangkap makna secara kontekstual terkait fungsi sosial, struktur teks, dan unsur kebahasaan teks pembahasan ilmiah (discussion) lisan dan tulis, terkait isu kontroversial dan aktual
4.6.2 menyusun pembahasan ilmiah (discussion) lisan dan tulis, terkait isu kontroversial dan aktual, dengan memperhatikan fungsi sosial, struktur teks, dan unsur kebahasaan, secara benar dan sesuai konteks
In this chapter, you will learn about Discussion text. Surely, you will have to know its proper generic structure. Practicing writing sentences is needed to enhance your understanding on its social function.
- Learning process
GENERAL INSTRUCTION : You must ensure that you understand the material step by step. At the end, there will be an evaluation to test your level of understanding on the material. When your level is above the passing score, you may continue to the next material. Before you ask for the evaluation, please ensure yourself that you have already mastered the whole material in this chapter.
Which shows two points of view?
- School is a place for students to learn living in a small society. However, the education system doesn’t make students enjoy learning there.
- Some young people choose to be a teacher due to the good salary. Consequently, their focus is not educating.
- Women have begun to be a leader in some institutions, companies and government. On the other hand, their high position which demands their time brings a bad impact on their family.
- Our president wants to build many infrastructures without burdening our country’s finance. Based on this, he invites foreign private investors to manage them.
- The digital technology eases business to grow so fast that most of companies prefer to use this technology. Conversely, the country will lose much income from their tax if there is no law on it.
To understand what discussion text is, do the following activities.
Find discussions on one topic that appear on the mass media today. Then, identify the points of view that support both sides. Compare these discussions, by answering questions below,
• What is the topic? • Is the target audience adult, teenager or child? • What is the assumed background knowledge? • Are two sides given in each text? Find examples. • Is evidence, research data or elaboration used? Give examples. • Is each side’s argument elaborated to the same extent ? What is the conclusion? Is an opinion expressed? • Is the level of modality appropriate? • Is technical language used? • Is emotive language used? • What di fferent conclusions might have been reached? • Do the conclusions summarise, recommend or solve an issue? • Look at the visual texts. Do they add to the understanding of each text?
(examples of questions are taken from: http://assets.readingeggsassets.com/teacher_resources/rex/writing/pdfs/upper/discussion_text_introduction_and_overview-fp-8c7af13a.pdf)
Have a group of seven and divide your group into the pro and cont. side. You will have a discussion on the topic in activity one. One person must be a moderator that controls the discussion. Based on the discussions you have analyzed, discuss them on your points of view. Make some notes during the discussion.
You should learn the Discussion text through reading comprehension too. So, click this: https://hedwigbooks.com/2018/10/14/discussion-texts/
And do the exercises completely.
It’s time for you to write your discussion text based on the discussion you have just had.
You can use some expressions or the language features commonly found in the discussion text.
To raise two points of view in your first paragraph you may use these:
*Everyone has different points of view to…
*There are two sides to consider.
*Advantages and disadvantages should be appraised in this discussion.
To strengthen the mode of your argument, you can use these:
Undoubtedly, Always, Absolutely, Certainly, Indeed, Obviously, Amazingly, Definitely
To make conclusion or summary of your arguments in the last paragraph, use these:
admittedly, consequently, in conclusion, it is evident that, thus, under these
circumstances, because of what was, mentioned above
TO REVIEW ALL MATERIALS,
- Tell the communicative purpose of Discussion text.
- Tell the generic structure of Discussion text.
CHECK WHETHER YOU HAVE UNDERSTOOD THE MATERIALS!
SELF-REFLECTION ON THE MASTERY OF MATERIALS
|1.||Can you recognize Discussion text from its generic structure?|
|2.||Do you understand the communicative purpose of Discussion text?|
|3.||Can you write a discussion text?|
- EENGLISH LITERATURE XII