SUBJECT AND VERB, KINDS OF SUBJECT, OBJECT OF PREPOSITION, APPOSITIVE NOUN
Pay attention on whether each sentence has a subject and a verb.
State whether each sentence is correct (C) or incorrect (I)!
- Every one amused because of the excellent performances.
- We have seen the reason.
- He was traveling to some countries during the last summer.
- By this time tomorrow, will be holding an opening ceremony.
- Due to the strong wind, the departure of my flight cancelled.
- Mathematics is always frightening for students.
- Last night thief in my house.
- My happiness to serve you
- We feel it safe to bike in this city.
- There is a lot o f information about these wonderful tourist destinations.
- The guests have in the hall for an hour.
- His statement doesn’t influence our work.
- The people discussing about the new leader.
- Every day takes a walk with his dog.
- The teacher’s advice can change her mind.
- The temperature hotter and hotter.
- The attractions by the Japanese are being shown now.
- Left their home in the early morning tomorrow.
- A super-mall is gong to built in this town.
- They have succeeded in holding an auction for charity.
There are four kinds of subjects :
Noun Phrase (NP), Pronoun (P), Gerund (G), and Noun Clause (NC).
Underline the subject ,then state whether the subject is Noun Phrase (NP), Pronoun (P), Gerund (G), or Noun Clause (NC)!
- His talent brings him to a lot of countries.
- Serving customers warmly must become a priority.
- That they will meet the President himself hasn’t been decided yet.
- They spoke about humanity and human rights.
- How good the news is depends on the journalists’ credibility.
- The journey to Mecca on foot by a man from Pekalongan amused the people in the world.
- Staring at the stars while sitting on the beach satisfies his soul.
- The wildness of the world should be faced by much knowledge and a strong will.
- Being humble is rarely found among the authorities.
- He doesn’t want to admit his weaknesses.
- We were invited to speak in the national congress on the youth entrepreneurship.
- Why the activities of terrorists cannot be detected and prevented easily becomes the President’s great concern.
- Gaining as much money as possible leads the people to do crimes, including corruption.
- She says that she is going to gather good people to save the nature.
- The leader’s decision on the budget recovery is final.
- Educating is not a matter of transferring knowledge.
- Who will win in this contest is difficultly decided,
- The stage manager is controlling the performers efficiently.
- I am reminded to control my anger with the uncontrolled children.
- What will be left in their mind is your kindness.
Beware to the object of preposition!
State whether each sentence is correct (C)or incorrect (I).
- In the classrooms were left yesterday.
- After the ceremony, they had a small feast to celebrate their graduation.
- In the cupboard at the corner of the room my pencil box.
- The evergreen trees in the slope of the mountain at the north of this town.
- What you are looking for is in this mall.
- The audience in the concert gave an ovation standing in a long applause.
- Interested in the research on nano technology.
- The animals in the zoo at the center of this town from many countries.
- He is disguising in the cost- play festival.
- The contestants in this contest good at acting the challenging characters.
- Speaking to the public must be done communicatively.
- Later, at the third day of the Christmas holiday, there will be many gifts for the children.
- By the next two years in the region near the canyon.
- At the to of the tree in the school yard is found.
- We sang with the best choir in this city.
- The songs in her third albums are the people’s favorite.
- The great explosion at the mall in the suite complex caused a great shock.
- The journey to the dark by the companions of the great ring bearer was perilous.
- In the heavy rain feels cold.
- Living with the wilds for more than 10 years in the dense jungle.
Appositive is the noun added to explain the other noun.
Example :Jakarta, the Capital City of Indonesia, becomes more and more crowded.
Fill in the blank with the appropriate appositive!
- ….., Mr. Ahmadian is looking for the children with a special talent.
- We still cannot find the fastest route to Surabaya, ….
- The coconut trees, ….. , are abundantly found a long the road to the beach.
- The red color, …, dominates the atmosphere of this restaurant.
- …, squirrel hibernate during the winter.
- Fishermen are much helped by dolphins, …
- People are amazed to …, the picture of “Mysterious Smile”.
- Arthur Conan Doyle, …, was successful in arising people’s curiosity when reading his novels.
- Shizuka, …, represents the clever girl with a kind heart.
- The founder of the biggest company, …, stated that his employees had to be creative and innovative.
- People in the world know Bali, …, more than Indonesia.
- On our independence day, …, people only focus on the celebration without understanding its value.
- The nearest planet from the Earth, …, has similar geographical features to ours.
- Chinese, …, has become the major subject in many high schools in the world.
- …, the carnivore plants, trap the insects to enter the flower by its smell.
- The everlasting cartoon movie from japan, …, educates parents not to spoil their children by giving everything they want.
- The novel on magical stories, …, has so successfully screened that many people are awaiting for the next movie.
- Drone, …, becomes more and more popular for the journalists.
- The most excellent football team, …, has won six championships in this year season.
- If many people had the heart of Mother Theresa, …, there won’t be no hunger and poor in the world.
Choose the correct answer!
- … keeps our body fit. (A. Having a regular exercise ; B. To having a regular exercise; C. For a regular exercise; D. It a regular exercise)
- … , Mr. Handoyo, built a nature based in school in the remote region. (A.Being the owner; B. The owner of this company; C.He; D. This company)
- There … some riots to protest the new law on handling the corruption. (A.are; B. are which; C. are going to be; D. going to be)
- It … to read the hoaxes in the social media. (A. annoys; B. is annoying; C.annoyed; D. is annoyed)
- … to read makes people easily influenced by hoaxes. (A. The laziness; B.Lazy; C. To lazy; D. It’s lazy)
- … can speak English well makes Indonesia difficult to compete with other countries. (A. 50% of Indonesia; B. That less than 50% of Indonesia; C.Less than 50% of Indonesia; D. What less than 50% of Indonesia)
- He … when someone bullies him. (A. loses; B. loses his temper; C. his temper; D. never lose)
- … , the quitar, is easily learnt by my children. (A. That the string musical instrument; B. That is the string musical instrument; C. the string musical instrument; D. It is the string musical instrument)
- People … by the fire cracker show. (A. amazing; B; are amazing; C.amazed; D. are amazed)
- … 45 minutes after eating can vanish the fat found in our food. (A.Drinking warm water; B. To drinking warm water; C. Drink warm water; D. It is to drink warm water)
- … maximally is the important period the parents must know. (A. The brain grows; B. That the brain grows C. Growing brain; D. When the brain grows)
- At the factory near my home town some dangerous chemicals …. (A. are producing; B. producing; C. are produced; D. produced)
- Many Indonesian children don’t know …, Soekarno, was exilled for many years. (A. our first president; B. why our first president; C. that our first president; D. who is)
- Some people are trying to change the foundation of our country, …. (A.Pancasila; B. it is Pancasila; C. that is Pancasila; D. is Pancasila)
- The number of some wild animals in the forests of the tropical countries … (A. is decreasing more and more; B. that is decreasing more and more; C.decreasing more and more; D. which decreases more and more)
- The nocturnal animal, …, detects the thing in front of it by its “sharp Eyes”. (A. it is a bat; B. bat; C. is bat; D. that bat)
- The students’ knowledge on this country …. (A. is poor; B. it is poor; C.poor; D. that is poor)
- … , dietary drink, is mostly chosen by women in dieting. (A. It’s Green tea; B. Which is Green tea; C. Green tea; D. That Green tea)
- … deadly in this region is being explained by the doctor. (A. Why the acute scurvy becomes; B. That the acute scurvy; C. The acute scurvy becomes; D. The acute scurvy)
- … , the most favorite transportation nowadays, gives much comfort to the passengers. (A. That is a train; B. Train; C. Of the train; D. It is a train)