CHAPTER 5 : ANNOUNCEMENT AND MODIFIER
BE : 3.3/4.3/1/4.4
3.5 membedakan fungsi sosial, struktur teks, dan unsur kebahasaan beberapa teks khusus dalam bentuk pemberitahuan (announcement), dengan member dan meminta informasi terkait kegiatan sekolah, sesuai dengan konteks penggunaannya
4.5 teks pemberitahuan (announcement)
4.5.1 menangkap makna secara kontekstual terkait fungsi sosial, struktu rteks, dan unsur kebahasaan teks khusus dalam bentuk pemberitahuan (announcement)
4.5.2 menyusun teks khusus dalam bentuk pemberitahuan (announcement), lisan dan tulis, pendek dan sederhana, dengan memperhatikan fungsi sosial, struktur teks, dan unsu rkebahasaan, secara benar dan sesuai konteks
In this chapter, you will learn about Descriptive text and how to use the adjective clause to describe things or people. Practicing is needed to enhance your understanding on the social function, the structure of the descriptive text and grammatical structure of adjective clause.
- Learning process
GENERAL INSTRUCTION : You have to do the activities step by step to understand the learning material. At the end, there will be an evaluation to test your level of understanding on the material. When your level is above the passing score, you may continue to the next material.
Before you ask for the evaluation, please ensure yourself that you have already mastered the whole material in this chapter.
It is sure that each school has announcements for all the activities it holds. Can you tell what is commonly announced? Write your answer!
Read the announcement below!
Bullying and behaving impolitely has become the teachers’ and parents’ great concern since three years ago. Regarding to this, school has a project for the students to campaign no-bullying at school and respecting others through a ten-minute movie. The best movie will be part of the school profile and become the school representative for the national movie festivals.
THEME : NO-BULLYING AT SCHOOL AND RESPECTING OTHERS
PARTICIPANTS : Students, teachers, school staff, and workers.
- The movie has to be collaboratively made by all of the components (students, teachers, school staff, and workers)
- The movie has to use the school setting.
- It is allowed to use bilingual languages (Indonesian and Javanese)
Registration : November 5, 2018 – December 5, 2018
Time of the festival : January 5, 2018.
- The opening ceremony : 17:00
- The movie festival : 17:15
- The announcement : 21:00
Venue : The school auditorium.
NOTE : The movie has to be submitted two days before the festival.
ANSWER THE QUESTIONS BELOW!
- What is the announcement about?
- Whom is the announcement for?
- What is the purpose of the project?
- How will the appreciation be given for the best movie?
- Why is such theme chosen?
- According to you, why are all of the components included?
- How long are the participants given to decide whether joining or not?
- If there are eleven movies, can the announcement be on time?
- When will be the latest day for submitting the movie?
- What is the missing information?
TO STRENGTHEN YOUR UNDERSTANDING, YOU HAD BETTER COMPOSE AN ANNOUNCEMENT TEXT YOURSELF!
HERE ARE SOME TOPICS YOU CAN CHOOSE!
- the importance of keeping the class clean
- the social activities the school is going to hold
- some new school regulations
- parents’ annual meeting
- art exhibition at school
TO ADD YOUR KNOWLEDGE ON GRAMMAR, HERE ARE SOME EXERCISES TO STRENGTHEN YOUR UNDERSTANDING ON HOW IT IS APPLIED IN SENTENCES.
LEARN SOME TYPES OF MODIFIERS AT THE GRAMMAR BOOK BEFORE DOING THE EXERCISES BELOW!
Fill in the blank with a, an, the, or blank (-)!
- … planet is one of … celestial bodies.
- … planet which has … most oxygen is … Earth.
- We have to write … article for … writing task.
- There is … crying child over there.
- … evacuation of … victims due to … earthquake last night is still difficult to do.
- What … distant place! We spent three hours to reach … place.
- Have you had … lunch already? If not, I offer you … delicious lunch which is made by my Mom.
- Are … teachers at … library for … meeting?
- … impatience often makes people ignore … clear mind.
- May we go … home earlier? We have finished … task.
- Communication technology should help us get … better life.
- She was sitting on … bed while reading … letter.
- Have you sent … invitation to … Hendra? They are … most important family for me.
- There is no one here. They may be having … tea time.
- I saw … man entering my neighbor’s house. I am still curious about … man.
- Write your answer on … paper, and don’t forget to write your name on … paper.
- I wonder why … rich do little to help … poor.
- It is rare now to find … bottle which is made of … glass.
- … students were hurrying … home when … rain fell hard.
- Many people still believe that money can buy … happiness.
Fill in the blank with this, these, that, or those!
- Come here, and look at … flowers! They are the rarest species.
- … picture describes the difficult time during the war.
- Let’s go there! … teenagers are going to fight.
- Everyone wonders why … monument was built here.
- Are you familiar with … lady who is sitting near the piano?
- I’m doubtful that … problem will influence his work.
- …. crocodiles, in the right cage, look fierce.
- We prefer … room for the conference. It’s large and has two air conditioners.
- There are two luxurious cars in the parking lot. … are owned by the owner of … company.
- Someone gave … message to me this morning, but I don’t understand the content.
- Shall we try … rides over there? They will pump our adrenaline.
- … shoes look more sporty than … at the corner.
- We had better ask … man about the right way. We are getting lost.
- Everybody will laugh at you if you wear … costume.
- I have never seen … kinds of fish. I will take a picture of them.
Fill in the blank with cardinal number, ordinal number, every or each!
- … of these pages has a green mark at the top.
- We are proud of you because you are able to reach the … rank. You deserve to be the winner.
- I got … books from my old friend. Both are in English.
- There are only … students in this class, so if … student speaks for two minutes, we will spend only about 60 minutes.
- My room number is 409. It means that it is at the … floor as the first number shows the level of the floor.
- Believe it or not! … worker in this company has ever had the mystical experience.
- Please, listen to me! There is a piece of paper underneath … chair.
- You can find a key word in … sentence to help you understand the meaning.
- Teachers must be careful with … word they utter for it can influence the students’ life.
- Chapter four was as hard as the … chapter. We have been learning it for two days, but we cannot get what it is.
- We are satisfied to the students’ work. … did their best and was responsible to their duty.
- The animals … have their own way to defense because they are created uniquely.
- The … graders should think about the subject they will choose for their studies in the university.
- There are only … cards, so the last card must be number 20.
- One meter is equal to … centimeters.
OTHER AND ANOTHER
Fill in the blank with another, others, the other, the others, one another or each other!
- There are four kinds of pollution. Water and land pollution are caused by people’s waste, and … two are caused by smoke and noise.
- I think I have copied the two pages. This is the first page. Where is …?
- A lot of teenagers are watching the music concert. Some are standing and dancing near the stage while … are just sitting and waving hands.
- The two students often look at … shyly. It seems that they are falling in love.
- I got … message saying that the plan is postponed. How can it be? He just texted me yesterday that we would carry it out this week.
- The participants don’t seem to be interested in this workshop. Only a few pay attention seriously, while … are busy with their mobile phone.
- The students are practicing a script of a play. They are talking to and shouting at ….
- I don’t like the food in this menu. I will ask whether I can have … one.
- These flowers are blooming more enchantingly than … ones over there.
- From the three arguments you have written, this doesn’t relate to your thesis. Can I see …?
- Alright, students! Now, you have to interview … ! Get some information from at least 5 persons.
- I feel comfortable with my new seatmate. We always help ….
- This route is too far. How about trying …? Let’s check the Google map.
- Are there four sequels for “The Lord of The Rings”? I have watched three of them. I don’t know about … one.
- There are a lot of victims on the last earthquake. Many of them were found dead, and … are still missing.
SOME OTHER MODIFIERS
Fill in the blank with, some, any, many, much, few, little, no or none!
- Please, give us … more time because we still have … questions to ask you.
- Will you transfer the money? I need … to pay the tickets.
- How … flour was needed for this big cake?
- We don’t care about how … you spent for these books as far as they are useful for you.
- Sorry to tell you all that I don’t have … information for the number of the dead people.
- He cannot avoid buying … novel about crime even though he has … money.
- I doubt that we will meet … deer along this route.
- Would you like … more wine?
- … of us know about how to finish this game because it’s difficult to understand the instructions.
- There are … food sellers here because it is far from a market.
- We are able to collect … shells which we need to cover the wall with.
- We took a bath once a day because there was only … water for it.
- When I arrived at a remote village, … of the inhabitants understood my language. After I had learnt their language for one night, I could speak to a … of them.
- Please, just put a … soy sauce for its smell is so strong.
- You don’t need to worry about the ingredients because we have had … things available for this contest.
NOW, LET’S SUMMARIZE WHAT WE HAVE LEARNT BY ANSWERING THESE QUESTIONS:
- What is the purpose of the announcement text?
- What is the function of modifiers?
- Mention some modifiers and give example of each!
SHOW YOUR ANSWER TO THE TEACHER, THEN FILL IN THE TABLE BELOW TO KNOW IF YOU HAVE GOOD UNDERSTANDING ON THE LEARNT MATERIAL!
SELF-REFLECTION ON THE MASTERY OF MATERIALS
|1.||Can you differentiate the announcement text from the other form of texts?|
|2.||Can you comprehend an announcement text?|
|3.||Can you compose an announcement text?|
|4.||Do you understand the function of each modifier?|
|5.||Can you apply the modifiers in sentences?|