BE : 3.2/4.2/5/1.1
JOB APPLICATION LETTER and DESCRIPTIVE TEXT
3.2 membedakan fungsi sosial, struktur teks, dan unsur kebahasaan beberapa teks khusus dalam bentuk surat lamaran kerja, dengan memberi dan meminta informasi terkait jati diri, latar belakang pendidikan/pengalaman kerja, sesuai dengan konteks penggunaannya
4.2 surat lamaran kerja
4.2.1 menangkap makna secara kontekstual terkait fungsi sosial, struktur teks, dan unsur kebahasaan teks khusus dalam bentuk surat lamaran kerja, yang memberikan informasi antara lain jati diri, latar belakang pendidikan/pengalaman kerja
4.2.2 menyusun teks khusus surat lamaran kerja, yang memberikan informasi antara lain jati diri, latar belakang pendidikan/pengalaman kerja, dengan memperhatikan fungsi sosial, struktur teks, dan unsur kebahasaan, secara benar dan sesuai konteks
In this chapter, you will learn about Job Application Letter and review on Description text. Surely, you will have to know the proper grammatical structure used to make your writing better and better. Practicing how to compose the letter and a descriptive text is needed to enhance your understanding on their social function and text structure.
Fill in this form:
- Full name: ____________________________________
- Address: _____________________________________
- Place of birth: __________________________________
- Date of birth: __________________________________
- Sex: __________________________________
- Marital status: ___________________________________
- Experiences: _____________________________________
- Academic achievement: ______________________________
- References: _____________________________________
- Educational background:
a. Senior High School: ______________________________
b. College / University: ______________________________
c. Courses: ______________________________
What kind of form is it?
The form is used as one of the requirements when applying a job. Therefore, it is better to understand what a job application letter is and how to write it through these activities below!
Read these application letters!
September 5, 2018
The Personnel Manager
I am writing to apply for the Marketing Sales position advertised by C.V. Peroni in Regency Post. As requested, I include a completed job application, my certification, my resume and references.
My GPA for Business Management is 3.6 and I have dealt with marketing for three years, so I believe that my experience and education are competitive enough for this position. My key strengths include the ability of verbal communication not only in English but also in Japanese and the high score of persuasion intelligence.
I would be grateful for a chance to speak with you regarding this position to discuss, and I would like you to see my resume for consideration.
Thank you for your time.
August 15, 2018
Soekarno Hatta 25
Dear Mrs. Desiaswati,
I am applying for a part-time translator position advertised in August 5, 2018 in your website. I am an undergraduate student of English Department in Marlin University.
My writing experience is considerable as I won some essay writing competitions. As a freelancer of some magazines, either English, French or Spain is the languages I deal with every day.
I am looking forward to hearing from you. Please, consider my resume and blog.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
State whether the statements below about those letters are true or false!
Based on the first letter,
- C.V. Peroni has a business cooperation with Regency Post.
- The second paragraph is about the writer’s personal description.
- The writer’s ability in verbal communication can be an advantage for the company.
- The writer’s persuasion intelligence doesn’t match to the position.
- It is possible that the writer has more than one references.
Based on the second letter,
- The writer has graduated from Merlin University.
- The advertisement of the job vacancy is put on the printed media.
- The writer wants the position of the freelance translator.
- The writer speaks English, French and Spain very well.
- Desiaswati can use the writer’s blog to see his competence in writing.
Here are two advertisements on job vacancy. Read them carefully, then choose one of them and write a job application letter based on it. Surely, it is necessary for you to make few adjustments to fit on the requirements.
King’s Cross, Central London
- Hours: Full time
- Contract: Contract
- Education Level: Postgraduate degree (senior business/technical)
- Job Function: Sales
- Job Level: Management
Here at The Guardian, we believe the open exchange of information, ideas and opinions has the power to change the world for the better.
More people than ever before are reading, watching and listening to Guardian journalism from across the world. Over the past year The Guardian achieved record digital traffic with our highest number of regular readers and monthly page views averaging over 1.1 billion.
We’re now on a path to achieve the goal we announced last month of two million people supporting The Guardian by 2022. We hit our highest revenues in a decade and in 2019 achieved the goal we set three years earlier to break even.
That’s where you come in. We are recruiting an Account Manager to generate quality revenue that contributes towards the digital and print display advertising business and effectively represent a specific agency patch / group of clients.
About the role
In this role you will work as part of the Display sales team, to drive revenue by using core and specialist sales knowledge to grow and retain new and existing clients.
You will understand those clients who are current spenders, lapsed spenders and identify proactive approaches to clients and agencies.
In order to be considered for this exciting role, we’re looking for you to have a minimum of two years’ sales experience as well as experience of selling different digital and print advertising products.
You’ll also have a strong understanding of the media landscape, as well as a passion for The Guardian brand.
And lastly, if you share in the Guardian’s mission and values, you’ll be well placed to help us succeed.
You can read more about the Guardian’s purpose here.
Does this all sound like you? Then we’d love to hear from you.
How to apply
To apply, please upload your latest CV and a cover letter which outlines why you’d love to take on this role, and why you’re a great match for we’re looking for.
The Guardian offers 26 days’ holiday and a competitive benefits package including a generous pension, healthcare, dental insurance options, cycle to work scheme and 2 paid volunteering days per year.
We have a strong commitment to your learning, development and well-being, with hundreds of different courses available – ranging from bite-sized e-learning courses, to on-site workshops and professional certifications.
It’s the talent, energy and commitment our people bring to our business that make us who we are. Across our business we have some of the brightest and best people in media and beyond: award winning journalists, cutting edge commercial teams, industry leading digital talent and much, much more.
We are a vibrant and diverse community with many events groups and forums to get involved in. Our Kings Place offices overlook Regents Canal, with the newly-developed Coal Drops Yard, Granary Square and St Pancras Square shops, restaurants and pop-ups.
We value and respect all differences in all people (seen and unseen) at the Guardian. We aspire to inclusive working experiences and an environment that reflects the audience we serve, where our people have equal access to career development opportunities, their voices are heard and can contribute to our future. The Guardian actively encourages applications from BAME candidates.
At The Guardian, many of our staff work flexibly and we will consider all requests for flexible working arrangements.
Advertising & Creative Coordinator
In this position you will help coordinate and execute the companies creative and advertising strategy for local events, sponsorship ads and Media Depts. You are responsible for the execution of projects, resolving any problems and making recommendations to improve the content and process. You work collaboratively with both internal partners and external agencies for the successful execution of projects. Provide support to the Senior Managers with the Monthly Marketing calendars, shipping reports, attaining production estimates and working on special projects throughout the year.
- Coordinate creative and advertising projects from concept to execution, making recommendations to content and process.
- Responsible for coordination of monthly promotional and generic sign
- Write project briefs to establish project deliverables
- Select, negotiate and obtain production estimates from outside vendors and make recommendations on agency selection
- Work with business owners on product layout and make recommendations on best content and approach
- Communicate, finalize and approve layouts with both internal and external contacts
- Ensure projects are produced and delivered on time and correctly
- Evaluate success of project and make recommendations for future improvements
- Create and draft communication/instructions to stores as needed
- Provide support on various special projects ranging from creation of shipping reports, social media event graphics, and other creative assignments needed
- Computer Skills: Microsoft Office required, Adobe Creative Suite knowledge a plus
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to details
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- 1 year office experience, preferably in creative or advertising
Now, it’s time for you to practice a job interview with your teacher. Send (=give) the letter that you have written based on the advertisement above, the resume (curriculum vitae), and references to the teacher.
Having a vocabulary practice is needed to enhance your ability in writing, so do the exercises below! These exercises are based on the two advertisements.
Find the appropriate synonym of the underlined words below! Surely, they should be in accordance with the context.
- Over the past year The Guardian achieved record digital traffic with our highest number of regular readers and monthly page views averaging over 1.1 billion.
- We hit our highest revenues in a decade and in 2019 achieved the goal we set three years earlier to break even.
- We are recruiting an Account Manager to generate quality revenue that contributes towards the digital and print display advertising business and effectively represent a specific agency patch / group of clients.
- The Guardian offers 26 days’ holiday and a competitive benefits package including a generous pension, healthcare, dental insurance options, cycle to work scheme and 2 paid volunteering days per year.
- We aspire to inclusive working experiences and an environment that reflects the audience we serve, where our people have equal access to career development opportunities, their voices are heard and can contribute to our future.
Use your knowledge to explain the words in the second advertisement below! Try not opening a dictionary, but use the context to get the correct meaning.
- Internal partners
- Project briefs
- Creative assignments
Having comprehended what a job application letter is, you need to review some genres of text. in this activity, you are to review a descriptive text. Open this link: https://hedwigbooks.com/2019/06/28/descriptive-texts/
and do the exercises.
Answer the questions below to review what you have understood!
- What are commonly included in applying a job?
- What is a resume?
- What is the function of reference?
- What are needed to write on a job application letter?
- What are the common questions in the job interview?
- What is the functional purpose of descriptive text?
- What is the generic structure of descriptive text?